ITT Output Falls 20% As Petroecuador Maintains Five-Year Closure Path
Energy

ITT Output Falls 20% As Petroecuador Maintains Five-Year Closure Path

Chip MorenoChip Moreno||Source: Primicias

Production data

Bloque 43-ITT averaged 42,105 barrels per day between January and June 2026, according to Petroecuador data cited by Primicias.

That represents a 20% decline from the same months in 2023 and a 4.5% decline from January-June 2025.

Despite the decline, ITT remains Ecuador's fourth-largest oil field by production, behind Sacha, Auca, and Shushufindi. The block represents 9% of national production.

Closure mandate

The field is located in Parque Nacional Yasuni and has been in production for 10 years. It began production in 2016.

The closure process follows Ecuador's 2023 popular consultation on ITT. On August 31, 2023, the National Electoral Council formalized results showing 59% support for stopping oil exploitation in ITT and moving ahead with a progressive closure.

The Constitutional Court later set a deadline of February 2025 for an ordered closure of existing wells.

Petroecuador timeline

The Noboa government officially began the closure process on August 28, 2024, starting with the Ishpingo B-56 producing well.

Petroecuador's 2025 management report said 59 wells had been definitively closed by December 2025, about 24% of the planned total.

Petroecuador's plan covers a closure process of five years and five months, designed to reduce production progressively and avoid environmental and social impacts.

Legal dispute

Yasunidos, the collective that pushed the suspension of extraction in Yasuni, argues the state has not complied with the consultation mandate.

Legal coordinator Pedro Bermeo argues extraction should have stopped one year after official proclamation of the results, by August 31, 2024, and that the state also missed the Constitutional Court's February 2025 deadline.

Yasunidos filed a compliance action on November 12, 2025 against the Noboa government before the Constitutional Court. Bermeo said the case remains with constitutional judge Claudia Salgado Levy and has not yet received an admission order.

What to watch

  • Whether the Constitutional Court admits or rejects the Yasunidos compliance action
  • Whether Petroecuador accelerates well closures beyond the five-year plan
  • Whether ITT's decline materially affects Ecuador's national production base
  • Whether fiscal pressure revives debate around the pace of the Yasuni closure

Source: Primicias.

Source

Primicias — "Plan de cierre del Bloque 43-ITT: la produccion petrolera cae 20% a tres anos del cese definitivo que planteo Petroecuador"

View original
ITTYasuniPetroecuadoroil
Companies: Petroecuador
Regions: Orellana
Share
Research Support

Support daily Ecuador business intelligence.

Research support funds source monitoring, data checks, editing, publishing, and sector coverage for professionals tracking Ecuador.

Daily Briefing

Ecuador business intelligence, delivered at 6 AM ECT.

Related Coverage

Energy

Fuel Stabilization Mechanism Points to a Second Consecutive Price Decline

President Daniel Noboa says Ecuador will lower diesel and Extra and Ecopais gasoline prices slightly on August 12. The adjustment follows five consecutive months of increases and a July change to the pricing formula.

Primicias|
Energy

Cenace Flags Five Transmission Risks Before Ecuador’s 2026 Dry Season

Cenace’s June operating plan identifies five relevant risks in the National Interconnected System ahead of the October 2026-March 2027 dry season. The warnings center on transmission overloads, coincident plant outages, and reserve loss near Guayaquil.

Primicias|
Energy

Ecuador Secures USD 3.5M To Prepare Strategic Electricity Projects

The grant includes detailed engineering studies for the San Gregorio–Palestina transmission line in El Oro and Guayas, with the program designed to strengthen Ecuador’s National Transmission System.

Primicias|
Real Estate & Development

Biess Relaunches Property-Auction Platform With Listings Across 14 Provinces

Biess has consolidated auction listings, bidder requirements, and the offer workflow at rematevirtual.biess.fin.ec. The current catalog covers 14 provinces and requires a 10% cash deposit or 15% deposit for installment bids.

Vistazo|
Mining

Ecuador Mining Exports Reach USD 1.381 Billion as Eight-Project Pipeline Takes Shape

Ecuador’s mining exports reached USD 1.3814 billion in Q1 2026, up 65.3% year over year. The Central Bank report also maps two producing large-scale mines and six exploration projects, including a USD 4.209 billion estimate for Cascabel.

El Universo|
Opens WhatsApp with a pre-filled message